Can Backyard Playsets Improve the Value of Your Home?
- Do Playsets Add Value to Your Home?
- Playset Factors That Impact Property Value
- Why Playsets Increase Property Value
- Will a Playset Raise My Property Taxes?
- How Playsets Can Help Raise Your Home’s Resale Value
- Wooden Playsets From Superior Play Systems®
- Contact Superior Play Systems® Today
If you have young children, you may be wondering if a playset increases property value. As a parent, you want to provide a nurturing play environment for your kids in the comfort of your own backyard. As a homeowner, you need to consider how it’ll affect potential buyers if you decide to sell.
If you already have a backyard playset and are thinking of selling your home, you also need to know if it adds value to your property so you can get a fair price. Any homeowner who owns a playset or is thinking about buying one will want to know how it impacts their home’s value. This is a valid concern that deserves consideration.
In this post, we aim to answer your questions about play equipment and property worth and show you how backyard playsets can add value to your home to the right buyers.
Do Playsets Add Value to Your Home?
Whether or not a playset increases the value of your property depends on several factors, such as the quality of the play equipment and the type of buyers you attract. For example, a young professional with no children may not be so impressed by a backyard playset. In contrast, a family with young kids might view your playset as a deal sealer. Considering many homebuyers have young children at home, a playset can definitely add value to your property and increase its curb appeal — if it’s attractive and well-maintained.
According to a recent report provided by the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Research Group, 35% of homebuyers have a child under the age of 18 living at home. Sixty-one percent of buyers between the ages of 30 and 39 have at least one child at home, and this age group also makes up the largest percentage of homebuyers. Based on this information alone, you might say that many homeowners would be thrilled to find a high-quality playset that’s ready for use in the backyard. Some young homebuyers who don’t have children yet might look at your property and envision their future.
Playset Factors That Impact Property Value
While playsets can improve the value of your home under the right circumstances, another question to ask is: Do playsets decrease property value? Regardless of your buyers’ demographics, playsets do not usually lower property value. However, some factors can affect whether or not someone is willing to pay a higher price for a home with a playset in the backyard, such as:
- Quality: If you choose a playset made with high-quality materials, parents will likely view your backyard as a much-needed haven. For example, our wooden playsets stand apart from cheaply made plastic ones, and it’s easy to notice. Potential homebuyers with children will be impressed by a wooden playset, and it may even be a deciding factor for them. On the other hand, a lower-quality playset could make a wrong impression and discourage buyers from taking the next step.
- Condition: A quality playset can withstand normal wear and tear better than a poorly made one, so it’s easier to keep in excellent condition. However, all playsets need to be maintained on some level. So, even if you have a once-beautiful playset in your backyard, it may not do much to improve your property value if it wasn’t taken care of over the years.
- Safety: Your playset should be safe to use. Otherwise, it will be seen as a hazard and could lessen the value of your home. Our playsets offer numerous safety features, such as pinch-free swings, solid beam construction and snag-free hardware — all which appeal to families. If you already own a playset, be sure to address any safety issues and make the necessary repairs before you put your house on the market. It might help to check the current safety standards to ensure your play area is up to date.
- Neighborhood: What type of community do you live in? If your area mostly appeals to retirees or young professionals, a backyard playset might not be significant — unless the potential buyer has grandchildren or is planning for the future. If, on the other hand, you share the neighborhood with several families or live in a good school district, the chances are that you’ll attract buyers with kids. In this case, a playset will be seen as a big plus.
- Appearance: While a playset decorated with cartoon characters might appeal to preschoolers, it could be less pleasing to older children. You’ll want your playset to engage a range of ages and developmental stages, if possible. A wooden playset is a timeless choice.
Why Playsets Increase Property Value
Assuming you have a high-quality, well-maintained playset in your backyard, you can expect it to raise the value of your property, particularly if you live in a family-oriented neighborhood. Here’s why:
- Increases pleasure: Today’s homebuyers want backyards that allow them to relax and engage in pleasurable pastimes. An appealing, usable outdoor space is so essential to homebuyers that many are willing to give up home square footage in exchange for more room outside. One survey found 56% percent of homebuyers would choose a smaller house if it meant having a bigger yard. In other words, families want to spend time outside with their kids. When they see the playset in your backyard, they’ll immediately imagine spending summer days playing outside in the sun.
- Boosts curb appeal: According to a NAR report from 2018, 99% of REALTORS® believe curb appeal is important in attracting a buyer. Curb appeal generally refers to the attractiveness of a property’s exterior. A playset can add beauty to your home if you choose the right material and incorporate it with the landscaping. A wooden playset is a foolproof choice because wood looks gorgeous with just about any style of home and naturally fits in with the surroundings. Plus, homebuyers appreciate wood as a sustainable and durable material. For example, a new wood deck ranks as the fifth most appealing outdoor residential feature to buyers.
- Promotes health: The amount of time children spend engaged in sedentary activities has dramatically increased over the years. More than ever before, parents are worried about their children’s health due to a lack of physical activity. For example, according to a survey published in Clinical Pediatrics, 68% of parents worry about a lack of exercise, and 59% are concerned about childhood obesity. What does this mean for you as a homeowner? A thrilling playset adds value to your home because potential buyers want their kids to turn off the TV and get outside to burn calories.
- Offers convenience: Parents will see your playset as a valuable, time-saving solution. They won’t have to worry about finding a reliable vendor or installing the playset themselves because the work’s already been done. Backyard playsets are also convenient because parents don’t have to worry about driving their kids to the community park or gym. Instead, all they need to do is send the kids into the backyard where they can play comfortably for hours.
- Easy to maintain: Unlike outdoor pools, which can be difficult to maintain, dangerous and unappealing to buyers with small children, a playset requires minimal maintenance. For example, with a playset, you’ll need to check the parts once in a while for wear and tear and keep it free of debris. Maintenance is usually not a time-consuming task, and if you purchase a well-constructed playset made of durable materials, you’ll have even less to worry about. A wooden playset constructed with cedar, for example, naturally resists pests and moisture, which lessens the burden of maintenance.
Will a Playset Raise My Property Taxes?
Another concern homeowners have is if a playset raises property taxes. To answer this question simply, it depends on whether or not the playset adds value to your home. Here’s how it works: Your local tax assessor calculates property taxes. The assessor will estimate the value of your property, including improvements that have been made to help them determine the taxes you owe. A tax assessment may occur annually or once every five years, depending on where you live. Usually, a playset will not alarm a tax assessor and affect your property tax bill. Since local laws vary, you may wish to call your assessor’s office, so you know what to expect.
How Playsets Can Help Raise Your Home’s Resale Value
Do you want to increase the resale value of your home for the appraisal? You can easily transform your playset into a value-boosting asset. Here are some tips:
- Give it a good cleaning: Your home should be sparkling clean for the appraisal, and this includes the outside, too. To clean a wooden playset, first, remove any debris like cobwebs or leaves from the corners of the structure. Then, wash it with a garden hose to remove thin layers of dirt. If it needs a deeper cleaning, you can scrub the playset with a soft-bristled brush and soapy water. Wipe down plastic components with a clean cloth or sponge.
- Make repairs: Inspect the playset carefully and look for issues like cracked plastic parts, rusted metal components or frayed ropes. Replace or repair any damaged items and sand down splinters to make your playset safe and appealing.
- Refresh the wood: Give a wooden playset a makeover by applying a stain. It’s a good idea to restain a wooden playset every two to three years to make it look like new. Select a stain that matches the playset’s natural color, and you’ll be ready to get to work. First, you’ll need to clean the playset and make sure it’s free of dirt and debris. Allow it to dry for at least 24 hours. Working your way from the top to the bottom, apply the stain carefully to avoid dripping it onto plastic and metal parts.
- Consider the landscaping: Your playset can be part of your landscaping and another way to increase your home’s curb appeal. An easy way to enhance your play area is to line it with landscape timbers and fill it with mulch to match the landscaping. If trees and plants surround the playset, make sure they are trimmed and will not interfere with playtime. Surrounding trees and flowers can add beauty and natural shade to a play area.
Wooden Playsets From Superior Play Systems®
If you’re ready to add a beautiful, high-quality playset to your backyard, we have you covered at Superior Play Systems®. We offer gorgeous, durable wooden playsets and swing sets suitable for a range of budgets and yard sizes. Our chemical-free playsets are built for safety, durability and many years of fun. We proudly offer the best warranties in the industry so you can upgrade your backyard with peace of mind. Here are a few examples of our wooden playsets:
- Forts: Wooden fort playsets are family favorites and offer endless ways to play. Our Classic Fort is our most affordable option, but it includes all the essentials. Kids love to climb the rock wall, zip down the slide, swing next to their friends or play make-believe in the fort. The Classic Fort will stand the test of time and bring endless hours of joy to your backyard. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you’ll find our Extreme Fort Combo 5, which offers two slides, a sky loft, monkey bars, picnic table and more for the ultimate play experience.
- Playcenters: Our playcenters are designed to encourage active play and help kids develop a range of necessary skills. Playcenters include multiple ways to climb and build body strength, plus classic equipment such as swings and slides. With enough activities and space to play, kids can invite their friends over and have fun together.
- Mega playsets: Our mega playsets can turn your backyard into a child’s dream come true. These large wooden play structures allow multiple children to happily play simultaneously, socialize and get the exercise they need. These playsets are fully customizable, so you can ensure there will be something for every kid to enjoy.
- Space-saver playsets: Our space-saver models offer a fun solution for small backyards. These playsets focus more on a vertical design rather than a sprawling shape, so kids can still enjoy classic play equipment even in a tight space.
All of our wooden playsets offer multiple levels of play to keep kids challenged as they develop and grow. And, since they are constructed with attractive wood, parents can enjoy the look of the playset in their backyard, whether they’re going to sell their home soon or plan to stay for many years.
Contact Superior Play Systems® Today
Even though play equipment can increase your home’s worth when it’s time to sell, keep in mind the value a playset adds while you still live there. Kids need to play and get outdoors. A playset is an investment in your home but also in the health and happiness of those who use it. But, not any playset will do. You need a playset that’s just as safe and sturdy as it is fun, from a name you can trust. That’s what we’re here for at Superior Play Systems®. To learn more about our high-quality wooden playsets, please contact us today or visit us at the nearest showroom.